logins, leading to UNIX access

Peter Murray pem at po.cwru.edu
Fri Aug 22 08:51:35 EDT 1997

--On Thu, Aug 21, 1997 9:48 AM -0700 "Robert Rasmussen"
<ras at nimbus.anzio.com> wrote:
> For you web4lib readers, I'm expanding a discussion from the Innopac
mailing
> list, as I think it has interesting and serious implications, and I can
see
> how you enjoy a good debate.
>
> On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Peter Murray wrote:
>
>> In the INNOPAC world, libraries typically do not have access to the UNIX
>> shell to make such changes...

For those that feel they are jumping into a thread that started on another
mailing list, you are.  Here are the posts from the INNOPAC archive that
started it all:

  [Oddly enough, the original post doesn't seem to appear in the web
version
   of the INNOPAC list archives, it is in the LISTSERV at MAINE.MAINE.EDU
   archive in the "INNOPAC LOG9708" file.  Robert include it in his reply
   listed below.]

  "Re: logins" -- Robert Rasmussen
     http://corso.ccsu.ctstateu.edu/~iii/1997/1940.html

  "Re: logins" -- Peter Murray
     http://corso.ccsu.ctstateu.edu/~iii/1997/1942.html

And there have been several replies on the INNOPAC list since his post to
the Web4Lib list:

  "Reply to Bob Rasmussen re: system access" -- Tom McNeely
     http://corso.ccsu.ctstateu.edu/~iii/1997/1955.html

  "Re: Reply to Bob Rasmussen re: system access" -- Robert Rasmussen
     http://corso.ccsu.ctstateu.edu/~iii/1997/1958.html

  "access to UNIX" -- Sandra Card
     http://corso.ccsu.ctstateu.edu/~iii/1997/1962.html

I for one intend to follow my colleagues on the INNOPAC list and post my
replies only to that group as this topic doesn't directly relate to Web
technologies in Libraries.

Peter
--
Peter Murray, Library Systems Manager                      pem at po.cwru.edu