MSNBC Column on David Burt

filteringfacts David_Burt at filteringfacts.org
Wed Aug 20 22:47:07 EDT 1997

Brock Meeks, cyber columnist for MSNBC, has written a column about me called "The Case of the "Radical" Librarian"

See http://www.msnbc.com/news/104439.asp

I'm finally starting to make some headway in my battle to counter ALA's views on filtering.

David Burt, Filtering Facts, www.filteringfacts.org
David_Burt at filteringfacts.org

The case of the 'radical' librarian
 Why his colleagues in libraries are ganging up on David Burt

		WASHINGTON - If David Burt were a man of the
              	 cloth he might be labeled a heretic. Instead he
              	 has been branded an "extremist" and
               	"unethical" by members of his own profession:
              	 librarians. To sneak a peek at Burt's e-mail,
              	 you'd think his colleagues had turned on him
               	because he advocates burning books.

 		BURT'S "CRIME" is that he advocates the use of
                         "filtering" software to keep kids from looking at Internet
                         pornography on their local library's computer. Opponents
                         of Burt's stance, and they are legion, call filtering software
                         "censor-ware" because it is notorious for hidden agendas
                         and actually censoring much more than obscene materials.
                                I know first-hand how devious these blocking software
                         packages are; Declan McCullagh of the Netly News and I
                         broke the story on their hidden agendas in a CyberWire
                         Dispatch article last year. These packages block political
                         views, educational sites and various other information based
                         solely on someone's notion of what is right or wrong for
                         children to view.
                                But here's another fact: Most of the software allows
                         the user to tweak the programs so that only pornographic
                         sites are blocked, thus providing a wide-open field of other
                         materials.

                         THE LIBRARY BILL OF RIGHTS
                                In a recent column, I took the American Library
                         Association to task for its head-in-the-sand approach to the
                         heated debate within its own community - whether or not
                         blocking software should be used in libraries. According to
                         the Library Bill of Rights, anyone of any age has the "right"
                         to use all materials the library carries. That rule was written
                         for the print age and doesn't account for the era of the
                         Internet. Yet the library association has steadfastly refused
                         to engage in any meaningful dialogue about addressing the
                         problem of kids accessing porn on the Net.
                                The association, on the heels of the U.S. Supreme
                         Court decision that declared the federal Communications
                         Decency Act unconstitutional (as a plaintiff in that case, I
                         applauded that decision), issued a statement that said the
                         use of blocking software violates the Library Bill of Rights.
                         Yet the library association, as a plaintiff in the same
                         Supreme Court case, had its lawyers hold up blocking
                         software as an example of why legislation wasn't needed to
                         "protect kids."
                                Today the library association derides filtering software
                         and instead suggests that librarians create and "promote
                         library Web pages designed both for general use and for
                         use by children. These pages should point to sites that have
                         been reviewed by library staff." None of which are
                         pornographic, I guarantee you.

                         ENTER THE 'RADICAL'
                                So David Burt has embarked on his "radical" campaign
                         of advocating the intelligent use of blocking software
                         through an organization called "Filtering Facts" I say
                         "intelligent" because Burt preaches that librarians know how
                         to tweak the blocking software so it is set to only block
                         pornography.

                                Burt says he has a growing number of supporters, yet
                         many are afraid to speak out, fearing professional
                         retribution. Many libraries also are running scared because
                         of what Burt characterizes as "intimidation tactics" being
                         used by the American Civil Liberties Union. Burt says the
                         ACLU has threatened to sue several libraries for installing
                         blocking software.

                         THE SLIPPERY SLOPE
                                What about the "slippery slop" argument? That being, if
                         libraries start to censor pornography - and let's be clear,
                         this is a censorship issue - that other areas will quickly
                         follow. "We're not talking about banning books like " 'The
                         Diary of Anne Frank' or 'Huckleberry Finn,' " Burt says.
                         "Filtering software is just making the Internet look more
                         representative of what is in the stacks. If it's not something
                         (a library) would buy to put on the shelves, why object to
                         having it blocked online?"
                                Good question. A statement on blocking software, put
                         out by the library association's Intellectual Freedom
                         Committee, says: "Blocking Internet sites is antithetical to
                         library missions because it requires the library to limit
                         information access."
                                Small problem, Burt says. Libraries routinely limit
                         access to information as a matter of policy. Every library
                         has a "collection development policy" that determines what
                         types of materials are put on its shelves, Burt says.
                         "Libraries put a lot of thought into these policies," he says.
                         "But they are treating the Internet like a big switch and not
                         putting any thought into it at all."
                                Here's a little experiment for you. Ask to see your local
                         library's collection development policy. Note what the
                         library will and will not buy and see if you can walk over to
                         the nearest computer terminal and access any of the
                         unacceptable material on the Net. Then summon a librarian
                         and ask him or her to explain why it is that you - or your
                         child - are allowed to access this information via the
                         library's computer, but can't find it on the library's shelves.

                         NO LOCO PARENTS
                                Another favorite argument the library association likes
                         to toss out is: "librarians do not serve in loco parentis" or, in
                         English: They aren't supposed to baby-sit your kids. And to
                         some extent, the association is right. Libraries aren't
                         watchdogs for parents who use them as free depositories
                         for their kids. But it is also true, as Burt says, that "the
                         community entrusts its children to be safe in the library
                         because the community assumes that the library has some
                         minimum standards for what types of materials a child might
                         encounter."

                                And, like it or not, a library operates from tax revenue
                         paid by parents making those "safe library" assumptions.
                         Librarians are public servants first and free speech
                         absolutists second - or they should be. (That statement
                         will surely get me kicked off the library association's
                         Christmas, er? "holiday" greetings list.)
                                I'm not saying libraries must buckle to right-wing
                         fanatics who demand books be removed from shelves.
                         Spare me that drivel. I'm simply saying that it's not a huge
                         intellectual leap to have a library tailor its Internet access for
                         kids to conform with the material on the shelves.
                                People have accused Burt and his organization of being
                         a "front" for right-wing conservatives. I challenged him on
                         this. "I'm an atheist and a Democrat," he responds. "This
                         isn't a religious or liberal/conservative issue."

                         A PORN TOO FAR
                                Can a library take Burt's position too far? Certainly. If
                         libraries do install blocking software they must be diligent in
                         maintaining it, seeing that its databases are regularly updated
                         and that only the pornographic blocking categories are
                         used. Second, there must be a mechanism for allowing the
                         blocking software to be disabled at the request of parents.
                                This issue is too serious to be resolved overnight. There
                         must be a full, public debate on the issues before the
                         community and its library decide together what course to
                         take. Surely librarians aren't afraid of healthy debate. Or
                         are they?
                                 Meeks out?