FW: The Web and Research Papers

Sloan, Bernie bernies at uillinois.edu
Wed Aug 20 11:12:14 EDT 1997

Last week I posted a note to Web4Lib letting folks
know about an op-ed piece in the Chronicle of
Higher Education. Dan Lester replied, in part,
>by noting the following:

>Interesting food for thought, but my answer is basically "so
>what"?  See more comments below, in bold.
>
>Note that it is an op-ed piece, not a research study.  Any
>one of us is capable of doing the same thing.

I often alert folks on a number of lists to items of interest,
many of which happen to be opinion pieces. They may not
be research studies, but they can often influence academic
administrators. Case in point: a couple of days ago a
colleague told me that a copy of Rothenberg's Chronicle
article showed up in the library director's office. The copy
came from the college president's office, with a note asking
for comment.

Op ed pieces can influence the opinions of quite a few
academic administrators. Even though they're not the
result of serious research, they can still have an impact.

Bernie Sloan
bernies at uillinois.edu