To Duplex or Not to Duplex -Reply

Dan Lester DLESTER at bsu.idbsu.edu
Tue Aug 19 16:17:48 EDT 1997

Robert has it absolutely right.  Copiers and printers that are
designed for duplexing have paper paths designed so that the
problem of recycling paper doesn't happen.

Besides the paper jam problems with recycled paper, the BIG
and expensive problem is that when you run paper that has
been printed through the printer, the BACK side of the paper
comes in contact with various rollers.  Since the rollers on the
FRONT side are hot from fusing the toner onto the paper, the
heat often "melts" the toner, inks, etc, from the BACK side of
the paper onto the rollers.  This means those rollers get quite
"gunked up" with toner, etc.  That can cause paper jams, as
the clearances are VERY small.  Also, the stuff that has now
been transferred onto the roller may well transfer onto the
back of future items printed, even if they aren't on recycled
paper.  I'd not want to send a memo to the President with
multicolored gunk on the back.

Cleaning or replacing the rollers is NOT trivial, either in
materials or time.  Several hundred dollars most likely.

Remember, the same things are true of those who REFILL
ink cartridges.  Your ink will be different from the prescribed
ink, and use of such will void your warranty.  Some inks will
dribble and splatter.  Others will gum up the printing
mechanism.  Again, not a low cost to cleanup and repair or
replace damaged parts, especially since it isn't covered under
warranty or maintenance contract.  Both of these cases are
covered under clauses the "exclude coverage for incorrect
use, user damage, etc."

cheers

dan

(yes I have an HP family connection, but this is true for ALL
brands and all types of inkjet or laser printers or copiers..but
I've preached this since before I even knew Gail, partly based
on previous nasty experiences..and I'd believe it unless your
contract or documentation says something to the contrary)

buyer beware and all that.