Document delivery from the library catalogue

Barbara Stewart stew at library.umass.edu
Tue Aug 19 11:30:33 EDT 1997

On Tue, 19 Aug 1997, Ted Koppel wrote:

> >From Anna Belle Leiserson's original message:
> *
> *In re. OPAC links to Amazon.com, I think it admirable to find new
> *ways to use the medium and raise money for a library. However, I
>
>    It seems to me that this kind of linking, neat and modern as it is, can
>    raise not only ethical, but perhaps legal questions as well.

If this is the case, why did OCLC get away with loading specific vendor
records from Puvill, Casalini Libri, and a few others onto their OLUC?
These are proprietary records, and patrons wishing to purchase these items
can only link to the specified vendor for purchase....

Barbara Stewart
UMass Amherst
stew at library.umass.edu