Document delivery from the library catalogue

Tony Barry tony at ningaui.anu.edu.au
Mon Aug 18 22:38:04 EDT 1997

At 3:17 PM 18/8/97, Mark Stover wrote:
>We developed links from each book's ISBN number in our library catalog to
>the Amazon bookstore.  Since we are members of Amazon's Associates program,
>each time someone travels through our catalog to Amazon and purchases an
>Amazon book, we get a small kickback (up to 15% of the book's price).  It
>doesn't happen very often, but it's cool when it does happen.

Aaagghh!!!  Gazumpded! My next posting was going to propose just this!
Booksellers and Librarians have common ground and common clientele. Often
when you read a book from a library you want to buy a copy.  I was also
going to suggest that the web opac should be geared so that unsuccessful
searchs could be redirected to the bookshop.  A competing sponsorship model
could be interested. Offer redirections let Amozon and  Barnes and Noble
quote for the business and sponsorship of the catalogue.

Well done Phillips Graduate Institute!!

Tony

mailto:tony at ningaui.anu.edu.au                |+61 2 6249 5688
http://purl.oclc.org/NET/Tony.Barry           |+61 2 6288 0959

Ningaui Pty Ltd, GPO Box 1680, Canberra City, ACT 2601

Visiting Fellow,  Department of Computer Science,  Faculty of
Engineering and Information Technology.   Australian National
University,    ACT 0200   AUSTRALIA

Apologise for the stolen generation - <http://apology.west.net.au/>