The Web and Research Papers.

Mrlibrary at aol.com Mrlibrary at aol.com
Mon Aug 18 11:23:38 EDT 1997

I don't think there should be that much fear at this point of the web taking
over research work.  I cover some of this I did in a talk for the Untangle
the Web Conference in Santa Barbara, California on April 26, 1997.  The
website is www.library.ucsb.edu/untangle/charton.html.
In many ways the World Wide Web (and the Internet in general) is like Dodge
City.  It's a free for all.  Since, no one really edits what people put up
there, it is very much
Caveat Empor.  Buyer Beware.  If you did your entire work from the web, all I
can imagine is the high school teacher trying to conceal a smile to the
student who has
been one of many to do the same paper from Cliffs Notes.
So I don't see scholarship going down the tube from the Web just yet.  The
Web will just add another element to it.
Mike Charton
Parsippany Public Library