Public PC printers -Reply

Andrew J. Mutch amutch at tln.lib.mi.us
Fri Aug 15 12:05:29 EDT 1997

Re: Printing from Laser Printers and whether to charge or not.

The solution we have been using(after we wrestled with all the related
issues sourrounding charging for print-outs) is to use recycled paper in
our lasers for the patrons.

Like everyone else, we generate piles of "scrap" paper that goes to the
recycle bin.  We cull through the paper and anything that isn't sensitive
is reused for the patrons.  A little note with the recycle symbol lets the
patrons know that using recycled paper allows them to get free print-outs.
I haven't had a complaint yet.  If a patron needs a "clean" print-out, we
do have a few stations that print to a printer that uses "virgin" paper.
We have yet to have a complaint and it has really cut down on our paper
costs that were getting out of hand.

Now, we are a smaller library and this may or may not work for those in
larger institutional settings.  It is an alternative that has worked for
us though and it has saved us both money and aggrevation(which is used in
other areas!).

Andrew Mutch
Northville District Library
Northville, MI