Disabling Exit from Netscape v3.01

Dale E. Goodell GOODELD at fsa.wou.edu
Wed Aug 13 14:23:01 EDT 1997

We have migrated to Netscape v3.01 as our primary user interface on
our library's public workstations.  I would like to prevent users from
exiting Netscape, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do
this.  Our goal is to have everything consistent, so that Netscape
is the only interface people see.  How have other libraries solved
this problem?

I'm still running Windows for Workgroups v3.11; I don't plan to
upgrade to Windows 95 for some time.  I'm using Fortres 101 v2.51
for general Windows security, and IKIOSK v2.0 to disable many of
Netscape's menu items.  I plan to upgrade IKIOSK to version 2.04
within the next week or so.  (I have generally been pleased with
both Fortres and IKIOSK.)  In my AUTOEXEC.BAT, I call Windows with the
command "win <path>\netscape.exe" to launch Netscape automatically
when Windows starts.  I also have a program called PrintScreen in my
startup group.

With my current Fortres and IKIOSK settings, if the user exits
Netscape, they can't do anything else; they must either run
Netscape again or re-boot the computer.  In addition, I have used
Fortres to prevent exiting from Windows, and I have gotten rid of
Windows' TASKMAN.EXE, so they can't go to and exit other programs (in
this case, PrintScreen). Using IKIOSK, I have tried to disable
Netscape's File|Close and File|Exit choices, as well as being able to
double- click in the upper-left corner of Netscape to exit.  These
measures have not disable exit from Netscape.

I have also tried replacing Program Manager with Netscape as the
Windows shell.  This is an unacceptable solution, as Fortres 101
can't properly load, and I can't get the PrintScreen program to
start.

I would like to hear from others who have conquered this problem.
Thank you, in advance, for any help you might be able to provide.

Dale E. Goodell
User Support Analyst
Western Oregon University Library
Monmouth, OR 97361