Mailto link problem

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Aug 13 07:41:58 EDT 1997

I don't believe there will be a fix forthcoming from Netscape on this; their
browser is broken as designed.  They have made a point of supporting their
own, non-standard format for mailto URLs: "mailto:person at host?subject of
message".   A more common problem is that people write mailto links for
Netscape, creating illegal e-mail addresses that break other browsers or
mail programs.  I've seen <a href="mailto:person at host" title="subject of
message"> offered as a non-proprietary substitute.  While Lynx is the only
browser I have which supports this, at least it won't break any other
browser or mail client.

Your better bet is probably to explain the problem to your mail
administrators, ask them why they wanted question marks in your addresses in
the first place, and request addresses without them.  Other sites manage to
create addresses like "freund.t", "freund_t", or even "tammy" without
problems.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu