Netscape printing problems

Katrina N. Magnuson knm at uss.net
Tue Aug 12 22:29:05 EDT 1997

Judith Murray Griffiths wrote:

> Jennifer,
>
> Just the other day I repeatedly got the message "Document Contains No
> Data." What I was doing wrong was trying to print before the Web page
> had
> completely loaded.  When I waited, it printed fine.

Of course, the problem is that many of today's pages are _never_
finished loading, what with all the animated graphics and such.

I've also run into this problem, and a couple of solutions that work
_some_ of the time are:

-printing the page from the print preview function
-turning the graphics off, loading the page, then the needed graphics
(if any), then printing (this one usually works well with those pages
that tend to come out of your printer looking like hieroglyphics, one
line at a time over 40 pages.)

Part of the problem is that we are trying to print a document that is
not _really_ a static document.  A page with calls back to its server
for animated graphics objects, java applets, frames, and all the other
bells and whistles, just doesn't translate all that well into a printed
document.  Kinda like trying to photocopy a page out of a pop-up book,
or a globe.

--
Katrina N. Magnuson, Technical Support Librarian
Gardner, Carton & Douglas
email: kmagnuson at gcd.com -or- katrina at anet-chi.com