Skills for reference staff

Christopher Platt Christopher_Platt at nypl.org
Fri Aug 8 14:05:10 EDT 1997

ponder.
1.  What if you come from a large library that requires you only to do
Reference Searching?
      You have a systems person on duty to rely on.

      Think logistics--is the systems person always readily available or are
      staff going to be in the situation of plopping an OUT OF ORDER sign on the
      computer and waiting a few hours for someone to show up and fix it?  Is
      the systems person supporting other computers outside the Reference area?
      If so, do the Reference computers always take priority in maintenance
      calls?

      I think Ref staff should be trained in, feel comfortable doing, and be
      invited to do basic troubleshooting.  What I have consistently heard from
      Reference staff in the libraries I've worked in is that machines and
      software are often made available for use *without* adequate basic
      troubleshooting training.

2.   What if you have a Reference Librarian who "just is not
mechanically inclined"?
       I should clarify this question by saying this person gets upset
when a >C prompt appears on the
       screen.

     I think this could be a whole new area of psychological research.
     With experience as both a reference librarian and a systems support
     librarian, I've found that there will always be staff who refuse to
     believe they can troubleshoot a machine.  Now matter how much you try
     to "demystify" the machine for them, they just can't (or won't)
     progress beyond a certain point.  Since most systems people are not in
     the position of being able to say "you must learn how to do this *or
     else*...", we just have to accept them and deal with their situations
     as best we can.  In fact, I'm beginning to believe there *are* people
     who are just not mechanically inclined, although how any of them got
     through library school is beyond me since there's very little basic
     troubleshooting that's more mechanically involved than replacing a
     card catalog drawer in its slot or plugging in a coffee machine.

     Christopher Platt
     NYPL
     cplatt at nypl.org