Skills for reference staff

Pat Erwin erwin.patricia at mayo.edu
Thu Aug 7 21:08:51 EDT 1997

I admit to a certain bias here; if you're going to drive a car -- you
really should know how to fix a flat.

I learned the hard way, on my own, out of necessity.  As others have
pointed out, IS (or whatever) have other priorities.  In a clinical
setting that is appropriate, even if damned inconvenient. I can't wait
two hours much less two days for someone to come and reboot a machine, or
fix a stuck printer.  And I expect the associates who spend at least as
much time next to the public workstations to know when to reboot, when to
tactfully save and move a patron to another machine, and when to call in
the cavalry.  And they do.

My requirements are simple. 1) Reference staff should be able to instruct,
by phone if necessary, a patron how to download.  We have cheat sheets
readily available for most platforms in use. Same thing for printing
problems. 2) The standard questions to ask to figure out if we have a
workstation problem -- it won't print!; a network problem, or a MAJOR
problem. 3) Where or whom to call.

I do not expect anyone to be able to load programs -- they're not
supposed to be loaded there anyhow.  But loading paper, changing a print
cartridge if necessary (or at least knowing where the backups are),
clearing out 7 copies of Netscape which just happened to be open should
be within the skills of a networked librarian.  But it also means that
someone should take the time to teach them also.  Not just point them at
it and say DO IT.

Patricia J. Erwin            E-mail: erwin.patricia at mayo.edu
Mayo Medical Library         Phone:  507-284-4952
Rochester MN 55905           FAX:    507-284-2215