deprecated elements in HTML 4.0 -Reply

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Aug 4 15:28:01 EDT 1997

> From: Library Internet Resources Co-ordinator <webguru at gtu.edu>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
> Subject: Re: deprecated elements in HTML 4.0 -Reply
> Date: Monday, August 04, 1997 2:13 PM
>
> At 12:11 PM -0700 8/1/97, Dan Lester wrote:
> >We're not planning to implement style sheets until MS and
> >NS get their collective acts together. ...
> >Even that doesn't help those who have older tools,
> >but we can never satisfy ALL of the potential users.
>
> Or those of us who don't use their browsers.
>
> This underscores the importance of sticking to standards even if one
> company has a cool effect that only their browser displays.

Just so everyone's clear, CSS *is* a standard; see
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1   Rather than being a "cool effect" hack from
the gang who gave us <BLINK> (or <MARQUEE> depending on whom you prefer to
disparage), it's the work of HTML and SGML developers who have been trying
to call attention to a better way to do it since <CENTER> was first
released on an unsuspecting world.  Netscape, in particular, has shown only
half-hearted support for CSS (Microsoft's support appears to be more
incompetent than disinterested, but they have a track record of ironing out
their own incompetencies and are already on their second version of CSS
support).

Let me reiterate this for people considering using stylesheets; the effect
of a non-instrusive stylesheet is invisible to browsers that don't support
them.  As I posted before, it is certainly possible to abuse them in
pursuit of cool effects, but that pursuit is ultimately frustrated on the
web, whatever its vehicle.

Compare and contrast:

browser you're using.  If your browser understands CSS, it will be indented
2.5 centimeters.  If your browser does not understand the style attribute,
it is required to ignore it.</p>

\\\\\\\\\\\\\

<ul>
<ul>
This is...something that Netscape Composer might cough up.  It might be a
paragraph, or a list item, and it might be indented some amount, though
neither of us knows exactly how much, and it might or might not have a
bullet in front of it...
</ul>
</ul>

Thomas Dowling