Self Promotion

Dan Lester DLESTER at bsu.idbsu.edu
Thu Aug 21 12:06:08 EDT 1997

Wow, we are tense today, aren't we?

I'm a churchgoing Christian of a mainstream denomination
who completely disagrees with the views of those who
promote filtering.  However, I'm pleased he gave the citation
here, as I might not have known of it otherwise.  I check
MSNBC on occasion, and see many of Brock's fine articles in
various places, but could have missed this one, which is of
course well done.  I do find it interesting that those opposed
to selfpromotion also happen to be those opposed to David's
beliefs, and those who support it agree with him.   o-)

As to self promotion, I'll agree that ANY politician, political
activist, or actor should self promote, and that they believe
any press is better than no press, at least as long as your
name or your cause's name is spelled right.  As librarians
(though I know some of us aren't) we should always be in
favor of first amendment rights, including giving such rights to
Nazis, those espousing causes or beliefs that we find
abhorrent, those who think they'll find a spaceship behind a
comet, etc.  No more on that as I do NOT want to start a
filtering discussion here.  I'm one who has NOT joined the
filt4lib group as I don't think there is anything new to say on
the matter that hasn't been said before.  o-)

cheers

cyclops, who doesn't do politics any more