Netscape printing problems-Summary

jbauman at nslsilus.ORG jbauman at nslsilus.ORG
Thu Aug 21 13:42:35 EDT 1997

Thanks to all those who responded for my request for help.  Here is a
summary of the responses I received.

>Problem #1: "Document Contains No Data" or "No Pages to print."

This problem is a problem with how Netscape handles a page with cgi
created elements not a problem related to a specific printer(s).
Suggestions:

1--Upgrade to Communicator.  List members with the newer version of
Netscape had no problems printing from the test site.

2--Try to print from Print Preview.

3--Try turning the images off and loading the page, then only loading
the
needed images (if any) one at a time, then printing.

4--One list member wrote that she sometimes gets the same "no pages to
print" message if the scroll bar is not right at the top of the page.
After taking the the scroll bar to the top, she was able to print.

5--My solution is to save the page to a disk, open the file, and print.

>Problem #2: Some pages will not print on the DeskJet 600 series printers.
>A message appears about a printer driver problem or a GPF that points to
>the printer.
Suggestions:

1--Sometimes colors of pages are not those that the printer can
recognize.  Go into the preferences in the appearance area and fonts.
Then set the color to black and check the always use my colors.

2--Using the most recent driver is not necessarily the best thing.  Two
list members use an earlier model's driver. Skip Booth of Anne Arundel
County Public Library, uses hp 500 drivers in both the 540 and 660.
Michael Iorns of Waikato University Library, New Zealand wrote "with
DeskJets I have often had trouble printing where the monitoring software
interferes (hppropty etc) and my effective solution has been to use an
earlier model's driver, for example using a deskjet 540 driver to print
to a 600, and a 660c to print to a 670c.  There are sometimes
incompatibilities where an older driver, particulary a 5xx being using
for a 6xx, will print out "really huge", but afaik the 540 will rpint
well to the 600."

Thanks again for all your help.

Jennifer Baumann
Reference/Electronic Resources Librarian
Highland Park Public Library
494 Laurel Ave.
Highland Park, IL  60035
PH (847) 432-0216