The Web and Research Papers

Sharon Stoerger stoerger at jaguar.dacc.cc.il.us
Sat Aug 16 23:40:13 EDT 1997

I read David Rothenberg's article "How the Web Destroys the Quality of
Students' Research Papers" in the August 15, 1997 issue of the Chronicle
of Higher Education, and I felt compelled to write a Letter to the
Editor.  The following is my letter I sent to the Chronicle.  I thought I
would share it with the list in case it wasn't published.

Sharon Stoerger
Public Services Librarian
Danville Area Community College
Danville, IL 61832
(217) 443-8739
stoerger at dacc.cc.il.us

To the Editor:

I think David Rothenberg was looking for a scapegoat to explain the poor
quality of his students' papers in his article "How the Web Destroys the
Quality of Students' Research Papers."  I cannot believe that this is the
first semester he has received poor papers.  Nor do I believe that
"students have become slackers" due to the invention of computers.

The problem is not computers.  Many students have never been taught how to
even begin the research process let alone produce an acceptable paper.
You cannot assume your students have been in the library or know the first
thing about finding books or journal articles.  Students need to be guided
and taught how to do research.  A library instruction session combined
with very specific requirements for the assignment will probably result in
a higher quality product.

Mr. Rothenberg seems to believe that all books contain better information
than any other resource, especially that taken from the Web.  I work in a
library that has been in the process of weeding books that are so
out-of-date that they provide incorrect data.  Certain subjects have
changed over the years, such as the role of women and the portrayal of
African-Americans.  Some students will take any book off the shelf just as
easily as they take information off the Web.  Critical evaluation skills
need to be taught in the classroom and in the library.  Some believe that
if it's in print, it has to be true.  This is applicable to print as well
as Web resources.

Today's library is rapidly changing due to new technological advances.
This is not necessarily a bad thing.  Libraries have always been places to
retrieve information.  Full-text databases and the Web supplement existing
collections.  This allows patrons to access more resources, not less.

It is human nature to procrastinate.  People delay completing undesirable
tasks until the last possible minute.  Computers have not caused students
to scramble to write a paper the night before it is due.  They have other
things they want to do and know they can do well.  This might even include
reading a New York Times bestseller outside under a tree.

I believe librarians and instructors need to work together to help
students through the research process and to critically evaluate
retrieved resources.  Boundaries and guidelines need to be set in order
to have a successful assignment.  If you do not want Web resources used,
state that in the assignment.  We need to accept the Web as yet another
resource rather than deeming it an evil destroyer.