Browsing in Context: Subdivision/SubHeading/Facet Display in Online Systems

Gerry McKiernan JL.GJM at ISUMVS.IASTATE.EDU
Fri Aug 1 14:31:46 EDT 1997

      Browsing in Context: Subdivision/SubHeading/Facet
                 Display in Online Systems

   For my review of 'neo-conventional' thesauri, I am
interested in identifying online systems that have
incorporated thesauri of an analog (e.g. LCSH) that
permits browsing of a SubDivision / SubHeading / Facet
with the context of its occurrence within the thesauri
vocabulary. Systems that allow for the browsing of a
term of a compound subject phrase (e.g. Women college teachers)
as well as facet browsing in context within separate and
not integrated thesauri are also of interest.

  As I have three daughters, one wife and three sisters,
[and a mother], I'll use 'Women' of my example:

               Women -- Africa
               Women--United States--History--20th Century
               Women and literature--United States--History--20th Century
               Women Air Pilots--United States--Biography
               Women in Politics--Great Britain
 Afro-American Women Social Reformers
         Urban Women
               Women College Teachers

              [You get the idea]

   I believe that this type of context browsing can/is/could
be useful to using in any online system as well as in browsing
in a separate thesaurus for term or phrase candidates.

   Ideally the core term would be a different color, or font,
or both. User have/could have/might have the ability to
further browse In Context by clicking on any term or phrase
to see that term or phrase In Context. Clicking on the item
number associated with the given entry would perform a search
in the system on that heading. Adjacent to the entry would be the
number of records that have been assigned the specific entry.

   I am particularly interested in any and all relevant
literature relating to the theory, practice and/or possibilities
of SubDivision/SubHeading/Faceted browsing as I describe it.

   As always, any leads, suggestions, reactions, critiques,
criticisms, comments, citations, celestial insights, etc.
are most welcome!

   Regards,

Gerry McKiernan
Curator, CyberStacks(sm)
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/

P.S.Remember When Key-Word-in-Context (KWOC) Was A Technological Wonder?