deprecated elements in HTML 4.0

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Aug 1 11:55:59 EDT 1997

 Sheryl, thanks for this URL--it's something I've been looking for
without success.

I have started including stylesheets on our site
shortly after MSIE 3.0 came out, although we get comparatively few
hits from MSIE and I was about the only person who could see them
in action.  :-)

Stylesheets *should* be completely transparent to browsers that don't
support them, so I don't see much of a downside to using them.  They
aren't impervious to abuse, and browsers that support them can all
disable them, so don't make too many assumptions about how your pages
will look.  Take Netscape 4 to
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/css/gallery/slide5.htm and view
it with CSS turned on and turned off, to see an extreme example.

Both Microsoft and Netscape have made progress on CSS support, but
they both have a long way to go.  I find it particularly grating that
Netscape's implementation requires me to enable Javascript.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu