deprecated elements in HTML 4.0

Sheryl Dwinell dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu
Fri Aug 1 11:02:12 EDT 1997

Looking through the specs for HTML 4.0, I notice that <font> is deprecated
in favor of style sheets.  In fact, there are a number of presentation type
tags that are being deprecated in favor of style sheets.  I know that
deprecated doesn't mean that these elements are obsolete or forbidden, but
we're highly discouraged from using them.  I've been considering whether to
implement style sheets for our library pages, taking into considering that
not everyone has a browser that supports all the style sheet elements. In
fact,  Netscape 3.0+ and IE 3.0+ seem to support varying elements of style
sheets.  There's an interesting comparison chart of style sheet features
supported by Netscape and IE at:
http://www.mcp.com/hayden/internet/style/table.html.  Anyway, I'm wondering
if those of you out there have implemented style sheets in your library web
pages, or have any opinions on doing so, or not doing so for the forseeable
future.

Thanks all,

Sheryl Dwinell * Cataloger/DBM Librarian/Webmaster
Memorial Library * Marquette University
P.O. Box 3141 * Milwaukee, WI 53201-3141
414-288-3406 * dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu