Survival of URLs / Plain text / Non-American users

Humbert Suarez hsuarez at west.poly.edu
Fri Aug 1 03:16:30 EDT 1997

A more plausible interpretation of the better connection rates
overseas revolves around the following:

  1)  Usage of the net is more widespread in the U.S.; Web servers
	are thus more commonly overloaded. There are many more
	Web sites in US than abroad (don't ask me for hard figures),
	and many more users of the Web; the majority of the Web is
	still in english.

  2)  Related to 1, lower pricing for Web access is more common
      in US, thus causing much more usage per user in US (again,
      no questions about the figures, please).

Cheers

Humbert H. Suarez, MD PhD
Polytechnic University
humbert at pride-i2.poly.edu