Filter Discussion

CMUNSON CMUNSON at aaas.org
Wed Apr 30 15:46:05 EDT 1997

     Library Internet Resources Co-ordinator wrote:

>I'd write as "Controversial and Pornographic sites blocked on this
>workstation" since many of the sites blocked are not pornographic, erotic
>or even sexual.

     I was thinking that this would be the case if only the pornographic
     filter was turned on. If you turn the filter on for controversial
     views and political extremism, I hope somebody takes your library to
     court. That would be clearly unconstitutional, if you believe in such
     things.

>>     "This workstation has access to the full Internet,
including
>>     pornography. You have been warned."

>That would probably generate a few lines of folks wnateing to access the
>machine.

>Now some libraries I have been to, such as San Francisco public's main
>branch have many VT100 terminals using Lynx to access the web. This seems
>one way to deal with offensive images.

     I guess that's a good use of dumb terminals, but i'd hope nobody would
     try such an approach with a Pentium. That would be like throwing away
     most of a book and just providing people with the table of contents.

     I'm a graphic designer, that's why i feel this way.

     Chuck Munson