Stats o' the Day revisited

Peter C. Gorman pcgorman at facstaff.wisc.edu
Tue Apr 29 15:05:09 EDT 1997

Thomas Dowling writes:

>The experimental Cougar DTD has only recently been
>updated from nine months ago; I confess I haven't had a chance to look at
>it closely, although I do notice that it adds the FRAMESET element for the
>first time.

A major change in the latest release of the Cougar DTD is that it uses
Unicode as the base character set. As a result, your SGML parser needs to
support multibyte characters. There is a Unicode version of nsgmls compiled
for NT, but I haven't yet found a Unix version; I guess we'll have to see
what effort it will take on our part to recompile the package for Unix with
multibyte support.

Not that we're using frames, mind you...

Another note about Netscape 4.0b: it does not yet support entities for the
full Latin-1 character set. I found that most of my Icelandic character
entities turn to question marks, while the same characters encoded as 8-bit
characters display correctly.

PG
Peter C. Gorman
University of Wisconsin