Library Channel

Toni Walder walderan at oplin.lib.oh.us
Tue Apr 29 09:05:17 EDT 1997

Judith Falzon wrote:

> I saw a demo of The Library Channel. It is pretty, but there is no
> question that it is a censoring device...or selection device (depending
> on your viewpoint.)
>
> My personal opinion was that it is a very expensive way NOT to have
> Internet access but have the illusion of Internet access.. It defeats the
> purpose of Internet access since it can (and will) be used to prevent
> following links.

> I was left chilled by the demo.

I agree wholeheartedly with Judy Falzon's impression of the Library
Channel.
The demo left me feeling claustrophobic. I would be disgusted and
incensed
if OPLIN spent my tax dollars to foist something like this on me, my
library
and my patrons.

While I understand the desire of librarians to organize the vast
resource of
the Web, limiting is not the way to do it. Even with the 40,000 sites
the Library
Channel "eventually" promises we would only be capturing a speck of the
information out there. Who's to decide which are the "best" 40,000
sites?
Who checks them constantly to be sure they're still the "best"? (and
still there)

We have to stop thinking of the Web in the context of traditional
collection
development. Rather than trying to winnow its resources down, we should
glory
in the immense scope and diversity of the information. There is no way,
given
the Web's complexity, volatility and growth, that we can "select"
individual Web
sites effectively. We should be devoting our energies to improving
access
instead. Let's work on better search engines, better indexing and
tagging
of sites.

-
Toni Walder (walderan at oplin.lib.oh.us)	Wright Memorial Public Library
937-294-8572 (voice)			1776 Far Hills Ave
937-294-8578 (fax)			Dayton OH 45419

"The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's
unfamiliar territory."  Paul Fix