FW: Librarian's attitudes toward filtering: The turning tide

Burt, David DBurt at ci.oswego.or.us
Mon Apr 28 15:26:00 EDT 1997

 ----------
From: Laura Quilter
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: Librarian's attitudes toward filtering: The turning tide
Date: Sunday, April 27, 1997 8:34AM

Laura Quilter wrote:

>Mr. Burt, you are guilty of collapsing and malforming your opponent's
>arguments into sentiments unrecognizable to them.  "Defending porn in
>children's rooms," for example.
Sorry, but if the objection is to porn in the children's room, and you
respond by saying, "Nope, can't filter it, gotta keep it", you in fact
are defending porn in the children's room.  If you say "you can't remove
Heather has 2 Mommies from the children's room", aren't you defending
Heater in children's room?

>Nor do I recall that any pro-filter-ware  people have been called cybernazis
or >thought-police.
On March 23, DSP Popnuck wrote:
>Since the discussion is about internet access, how can you not
>see yourself as a thought policeman when you want to prevent people from
>accessing sites based on your own idea of what is appropriate?

          David Burt, Information Technology Librarian
          The Lake Oswego Public Library
          706 Fourth Street, Lake Oswego, OR 97034
          Phone:     (503) 635-0392
          Fax:           (503) 635-4171
          E-mail:      dburt at ci.oswego.or.us