AltaVista's "Way-cool topics map"

scharles libernet at midtown.net
Sun Apr 27 01:04:40 EDT 1997

Some time back I tried LiveTopics, and was not impressed.  But I was
inspired to try again by some of the recent web4lib messages.

I did a simple search using "printing culture orality history" and got back
900000 hits.  I looked at the LiveTopics tables, and was suprised to see
some neat connections (I am familiar with the subject area), then tweaked
the search by using a + (printing culture +orality history). I got 2000 hits.

Next I looked at the topic map, and I was impressed.  Some of the
connections were right on the money. And I do like the idea of the map.  I
must say I do like this.  I am also hoping to see this done with VRML.

Thanks Joe Barker for the tip.

Scott Charles