Sites using the Netscape Catalog Server?

Prentiss Riddle riddle at is.rice.edu
Fri Apr 25 17:53:49 EDT 1997

I could have sworn that I'd seen this question go by before, but I
don't see it in the Web4Lib archive.

I'm looking for examples of sites using the Netscape Catalog Server.
So far the only one I've seen is Netscape's own intranet demo site
(http://home.netscape.com/comprod/at_work/vip/) but I'm not sure it
does a representative job of showing the strengths and weaknesses of
the catalog server.

Based on the little information I have at hand, I think of the Catalog
Server as a toolkit for building one's own Yahoo-like hierarchical
collection of links to online resources.  I'm hoping that on further
scrutiny it will meet the bibliographic standards of our library staff
for the development of a set of annotated Internet subject guides
of a rigor somewhere between full-blown cataloging and the loose
collections of links we now maintain.

Also, I'd like to hear from anyone who has installed the Catalog Server
themselves.  Comments?  Tips?

Thanks.

-- Prentiss Riddle ("aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada") riddle at rice.edu
-- RiceInfo Administrator, Rice University / http://is.rice.edu/~riddle
-- Home office: 2002-A Guadalupe St. #285, Austin, TX 78705 / 512-323-0708