No subject

Bill Crosbie crosbie at AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU
Fri Apr 25 17:05:57 EDT 1997

Web4Lib'ers and DigLibns:

(Apologies for the cross-post - but I believe this covers both areas of
interest.  Will slip into flame retardant undergarments if others think
differently. ;-)

I am trying to come up with pricing/implementation recommendations for a
joint project between the Animal Science Department and the RU Libraries.
This project will create an online, dynamically served image archive, driven
by commercial database software.  I've been searching every bit of Unix-web
server database integration that I can deal with on the web and in magazines
that I have handy.

I'm wondering if anyone out there in web4lib land (;-) is using a database
to create and serve dynamic HTML pages from a UNIX environment.  If so,
would you be willing to share your experiences in getting things off the
ground at your institution?

The products that I have tried to look at include: Oracle, Informix, Sybase,
and IBM DB2.   My goal is to try to find out who else has developed this
expertise so that we can share experiences and benefit from each other's work.

Any help, anecdotes, warnings greatly appreciated.

Bill
 Always dream and shoot higher         |      Bill Crosbie
 than you know you can do.             |      Microcomputer Analyst
 Don't bother just to be better than   |      Chang Science Library
 your contemporaries or predecessors.  |      Rutgers University
 Try to be better than yourself.       |      New Brunswick, NJ USA
                                       |      crosbie at aesop.rutgers.edu
      ~~William Faulkner~~             |      908-932-0305 x114