Filters/Cybersitter

Laura Quilter lauramd at uic.edu
Thu Apr 24 15:14:40 EDT 1997

On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, Ronnie Morgan wrote:

> As for the censorship issue, I don't believe this is "censorship".  All
> libraries have a collection development policy (if not, they should),
> because a library can not obtain EVERY book and EVERY journal that is
> available.  They have to pick out what is best for thier community, school,
> etc...  Filter programs are nothing more than collection development tools.
>  And if filter programs are unconstitutional, then collection development
> policies are as well...

A collection development policy is for print where resources are limited.
When you get access to the Net you get access to the whole thing.  You
then have to spend EXTRA money to purchase filter programs.  So filter
programs are not collection development.

Furthermore, libraries do their own collection development.  Attempts (as
in the recent B&T controversy in Hawaii) to turn it over to companies for
generic selection are problematic for all kinds of reasons.  NetNanny,
CyberPatrol, etc., are acceptable for home use (not MY home, but
someone's, I'm sure) but NOT for public libraries.

> I'm also a little curious about the freedom of speech and rights to access
> issues.  When you are in the privacy of your own home, is the libraries
> filter program activated on your home PC?  So, if it isn't activated, then
> can you access anything on the internet, from your home?  So, if you can
> access anything you want, from your home, is your right to access affected?
>  Okay, so, if you are able to access everything on the net, from your home,
> is the freedom of speech of the people providing the questionable material
> being stomped on?  Then why get all worked up about a library installing a
> filter program?  Just stay home.

People who don't have computers at home?  And go to the library to access
information?  Isn't that what libraries are for?  To PROVIDE access to
information?

> This isn't like a book burning where the books being burned were the only
> copies available in the city, county, state, or whatever.  You can go home,
> use your PC to log onto the internet, and view ANYTHING you want.  And
> because of this, I do not see how my right to access is being affected!

I'm sure your right to access is not being affected, because you have a
computer at home.  But for the individual who does not have a computer at
home, and who must use the public library for access, their access will be
restricted.

BTW, book-burnings aren't offensive in only the cases where the copy is
the only one available in the city.  I don't care if 300,000 copies of
Madonna's SEX are available in homes throughout Chicago, if someone burns
the CPL's copy, I'm going to get pissed.

***

I'm starting to agree that maybe there should be separate discussions for
those of wishing to learn and share technical expertise relating to the
web in libraries, and those of us wishing to discuss the values, models,
etc., of internet access in libraries ...

Laura M. Quilter   /   lauramd at uic.edu
Electronic Services Librarian
University of Illinois at Chicago
http://www.uic.edu/~lauramd/