Filters/Cybersitter

Ronnie Morgan rmorgan at Harding.edu
Thu Apr 24 14:23:44 EDT 1997

>     Sheryl: The folks who sell censorware are probably aware that their
>     products are unpopular and that they will ultimately be rejected by
>     the public. I think they are counting on making some fast bucks
before
>     everybody gets organized enough to stop their silliness.

Sorry, but I must say something about this now...

I don't think "censorware" is all that unpopular.  I, for one, applaud the
companies producing filter software, and I applaud the libraries that are
putting them to good use.  I certainly do not want my child to go into a
library and start searching for questionable sites.  No matter what I do to
encourage my child to not look at stuff like that, they will anyway because
they are curious and know that they can do it.  And much to your disbelief,
those companies are going to be around for as long as the questionable
material is available on the internet.

As for the censorship issue, I don't believe this is "censorship".  All
libraries have a collection development policy (if not, they should),
because a library can not obtain EVERY book and EVERY journal that is
available.  They have to pick out what is best for thier community, school,
etc...  Filter programs are nothing more than collection development tools.
 And if filter programs are unconstitutional, then collection development
policies are as well...

However, I do agree that these companies should not block sites that are
not really questionable.  From my understanding, Cyber Patrol has a
committee of people who determine what will be blocked and what will not.
There is also a rating system (see http://www.microsys.com/cyber/cp_list.htm
).  And there is a site investigation report page (see http://www.microsys.c
om/cyber/cp_site.htm) where you can request for a site to be removed or
added to the "CyberNOT" list.  I would also check out http://www.microsys.co
m/cyber/cp_ocapp.htm where you can appeal any of thier decisions.  It seems
to me that Cyber Patrol tries to keep thier users informed.  When my kids
are old enough to do things on the computer, I most likely will choose
Cyber Patrol as a filter program.

I'm also a little curious about the freedom of speech and rights to access
issues.  When you are in the privacy of your own home, is the libraries
filter program activated on your home PC?  So, if it isn't activated, then
can you access anything on the internet, from your home?  So, if you can
access anything you want, from your home, is your right to access affected?
 Okay, so, if you are able to access everything on the net, from your home,
is the freedom of speech of the people providing the questionable material
being stomped on?  Then why get all worked up about a library installing a
filter program?  Just stay home.

This isn't like a book burning where the books being burned were the only
copies available in the city, county, state, or whatever.  You can go home,
use your PC to log onto the internet, and view ANYTHING you want.  And
because of this, I do not see how my right to access is being affected!

Ronnie Morgan