Filters/Cybersitter

CMUNSON CMUNSON at aaas.org
Thu Apr 24 10:21:25 EDT 1997

     Sheryl: The folks who sell censorware are probably aware that their
     products are unpopular and that they will ultimately be rejected by
     the public. I think they are counting on making some fast bucks before
     everybody gets organized enough to stop their silliness.

     Bennett Haselton is not the only person who has drawn the ire of the
     censorware producers. They've "filtered" out other sites who have been
     critical of them, or just provided information about the product (NOT
     lists, etc.) Such are the tactics of those who hold freedom of speech
     in low regard.

     I know of one friend who had a difficult time convincing CyberPatrol
     to remove his site from their censored list. He runs a political site.
     They eventually dropped it from his list, citing a rather pathetic
     excuse for why his cite was blocked. I'm aware of others on the net
     that have had their fan sites blocked, including a rather innocuous
     Xena fan site. Of course, I've had two of my sites blocked, which made
     me mad because they are educational sites. Both have recently switched
     URLs, but the old URLs remain blocked.

     Installing censorware in libraries is unconstitutional. It amount to
     government control over the public's right to access information.

     Chuck Munson