EDMS implementation strategy question

Jeanne Tifft Jtifft at aamc.org
Wed Apr 23 14:33:16 EDT 1997

I'd like to tap the list members' experience and knowledge of strategic and
organizational models for implementing a full scale electronic document
management system.  (FYI, we've chosen BASIS but are still massaging staff here
for buy-in to the concept.)  I've been tasked to come up with a briefing paper
for the CIO on strategic alternatives for putting one into place in a nonprofit
research organization staffed by non-tekky scholars and fairly tekky
administrative assistants, all with stovepipe habits and turf issues.
Alternative implementation strategies now being considered here are: (1) top
down fiat from the president (our CIOs preferred approach) or (2) pilot
approach with killer app (content that everyone wants) plus a volunteer or two
(my preferred approach).  I'd be most grateful for any case studies you could
refer me to or any informal notes from your own experience.  Privately if you
don't think of interest to the list.  Thank you very much indeed!
Jeanne Tifft, AAMC Librarian
Association of American Medical Colleges
2450 N St NW
Washington DC  20037-1127
Voice (202) 828-0550     Fax (202) 828-1125    Email: jtifft at aamc.org