Internal Revenus Service/AltaVista

Margaret F. Riley mfriley at erols.com
Wed Apr 23 09:31:21 EDT 1997

At 10:09 AM 4/22/97 -0700, Nick Arnett wrote:

>I think that's a bit of devil's advocate position.  The problem isn't that
>it's a bad search -- after all, if a library patron asked for information
>about the IRS that way, it would be perfectly reasonable -- it's the
>stupidity of search software.  Better search software recognizes phrases and
>filters out "word spam" more effectively.

I have to agree with Nick here.  The computer can only do what
we tell it to do.  If we tell it to find us every occurrence of a word
or phrase, then it will do so.  If someone feels that his/her web page
is so magnificent and important that all keywords must lead to that
door, then by building those words into the document the simple
computer will lead us to that door.

I have been reading about many search engines which are now
tossing out spam, but I also think the larger the pot of soup, the
harder it is to filter out the little pieces of barley that you don't want.

Think smarter, not stronger.  We're librarians.  We help people to
locate information by providing guidance, selectivity of data, and
establishment of protocols.   Like I always tell the career service
professionals I work with, do not abandon your professional
standards and personal "gut" intuition when you go online.

Margaret
Margaret F. Riley, MSLIS            **New Address**
Internet Consultant		 The Riley Guide
3411 University Blvd West #303	 http://www.jobtrak.com/jobguide/
Kensington, MD  20895-1734	 mfriley at erols.com
(301) 946-1917     (301) 946-8877 FAX (please call before faxing)