Problems printing with Netscape 3.01

Ed Cherry cecherry at samford.edu
Mon Apr 21 09:44:46 EDT 1997

There is (IMHO) a better solution than this:  Go to File, Page
Setup, and choose the "Black Text" page option.  This allows
you to see all the color of the web, but print it legibly.
Unless you are using a color printer, I would advise everyone
to set this option.  BTW, Netscape 2.x users cannot set this
option permanently, as Netscape does not save the value of this
setting.

To answer your first question, you are probably seeing white
text on a dark background.  A printer with only black ink has
difficulty printing white letters on white paper... :-)

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997 20:30:26 -0700 Jian Liu
<jiliu at script.lib.indiana.edu> responded to Malabika Das:

> The solution is: Go to Options --> General Preferences --> Colors
> and click/put a check mark on "Always Use my Colors, Override
> Document".
>
> > Sometimes, though, they come across sites that seem to
> > print nothing but blank pages with only the
> > following information on the page (in small print in
> > the corners) - title of the page, URL, page
> > number, and time printed.
> >
> > We can see the text and images fine on the screen.
> > However, using Print Preview shows that there's
> > nothing to print - no text, no images (with the
> > exception of the text in the corners).
> >
> > And so my two questions are:
> > 1) Why is this happening? and
> > 2) Is there a way to fix this problem?
> >

> > Any suggestions or insights would be helpful.

* Ed Cherry             *                              *
* Automation Librarian  * Phone:  (205) 870-2506       *
* Davis Library         * Fax:    (205) 870-2642       *
* Samford University    * E-Mail: cecherry at samford.edu *
* Birmingham, AL  35229 *                              *