Web filter vendor survey

Jerry Kuntz jkuntz at rcls.org
Mon Apr 21 08:33:25 EDT 1997

In March, 1997, after observing the extended (and circuitous) threads on
WEB4LIB and PUBLIB regarding filtering products, I thought that one
constructive addition to the debate might be to get a better idea of
where these products were in relation to features that would make them
more palatable to use in public libraries.
After asking for help in compiling a list of desireable features, I sent
a survey out to 9 vendors (listed in the 4/8/97 PC Magazine feature on
filtering software, and in Yahoo under Internet Blocking/Filtering
Software.)
I asked them to respond by 4/30/97. To date, 5 have replied. The survey
results can be found at:
	http://www.rcls.org/filter/filter.htm
A vendor survey falls short of what a thorough product evaluation would
reveal. I hope Karen Schneider's volunteer evaluation project will be
even more informative (but may have to omit the server-based products).
My personal opinion is that ALA--if they are really interested in
gaining the upper hand in this debate--should be sponsoring a full
evaluation project.

			Jerry Kuntz
			Electronic Resources Consultant
			Ramapo Catskill Library System