Netscape disabling with ikiosk

Beth DeGeer bdeg at bartlesville.lib.ok.us
Sat Apr 19 04:46:53 EDT 1997

Hi all:

Our library is using Netscape 3 on a Windows 3.1 platform.  We have
successfuly disabled most of the security hazards on the machines with
IKIOSK.  I am having some trouble disabling the ability to download
programs from the internet.  I have disabled the SAVE AS.. command in
the file menu, but when you click on a program to download on a web
page, it still allows you to download onto the hard drive.  I have tried
using the record feature, but am getting nowhere fast.  If I disable
some of the commands I have recorded, I end up without being able to
save anything anywhere.  This is a problem, especially when you need to
be able to change the colors on a web page in order to print.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Also, we are using Netmanage's
Chameleon Hostlink 6.0, and I have discovered that this version of
Netmanage's telnet program has a nasty little feature called "Access
Intranet" which basically gives you access to most of the hard drive.  I
have been unable to disable this feature.  Any advice would be most
appreciated.  At this point I'm looking at putting on a different telnet
program, or reinstalling the old chameleon software, but I'm concerned
about compatibility problems.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Beth DeGeer
bdeg at bartlesville.lib.ok.us