Royalty costs for E-Reserve items?

Carolyn_Gonzalez at medcom1.smtplink.amedd.army.mil Carolyn_Gonzalez at medcom1.smtplink.amedd.army.mil
Tue Apr 15 17:07:46 EDT 1997

     John:

     I've been getting a few requests along the same line, so I'll share my
     info with the list once I start sending them off to the CCC.

     It was my understanding (when I first started doing copyright research
     for this project) that there are libraries out there posting the
     digitized matter of journal articles through the electronic course
     reserve section of their catalogs, basing their actions on a broad
     interpretation of Fair Use.  However, there's no guarantee that the
     courts would share that same interpretation were a case brought to
     court.

     My library's clientel wants a completely digitized library--not just
     an electronic course reserve section.  I don't want to take any
     chances with lawsuits, so I'm going to go ahead and try to get
     clearance for everything posted (that is, everything that is clearly
     outside the public domain)--be it in the course reserve section, or in
     the main catalog's digital archive.

     I'm taking an especially conservative approach to this after reading
     some reports about Bruce Lehman, the guy the White House picked out to
     head the National Information Infrastructure group on intellectual
     property.  It sounds like he comes down pretty hard on the side of the
     copyright holders.

     Carolyn