Royalty costs for E-Reserve items?

Pat Costigan Pat.Costigan at ccMail-Link.NMMC.Com
Tue Apr 15 16:42:29 EDT 1997

Think about this -- regarding the comment from Carolyn Gonzalez, the $1.80 per
request for clearance is for each individual use, not for the right to publish
which, in effect, will be what is being done. Unless you can guarantee the
digital copy can be only read and not copied and printed by anyone accessing it,
the case is probably extremely strong each access would require a separate
payment of the $1.80 AND of the payment to the copyright holder of whatever they
wished to charge.
This becomes even clearer in the second copy from John: "I was glad to see Brian
Neilsen's view that Fair Use includes serving documents to a specific class
electronically.  This is where I hope copyright law winds up." Just exactly what
is the difference between "serving documents to a specific class" than mass
copying each document, binding them together, and handing them out to the class
-- which is publishing an anthology and is certainly not fair use by any
Perhaps the "reluctant professors" mentioned in the beginning of this string,
since they are also the authors of much of the material, were quite correct to
be hesitant at placing their notes etc. on a server from which they can be SO
EASILY copied, manipulated, stolen and plagiarized.
Generally I'm on the side of "free and available", but I think we need to pay a
bit more attention to the view from the other side. (I also think perhaps the
Army should pay a little more attention to the costs and benefits associated
with a "completely digital library" -- someday, maybe, but completely digital at
this point in time is highly questionable both in feasibility and public
expense.)

  Patrick W. Costigan, Medical Librarian  **All opinions are my own, but
  North Memorial Health Care              **you are more than welcome
  3300 Oakdale North                      **     to share them.
  Robbinsdale, Minnesota  55422
  pat.costigan at cl.nmmc.com   Voice 612-520-5678    Fax 612-520-1453