Electronic reserves

Carolyn_Gonzalez at medcom1.smtplink.amedd.army.mil Carolyn_Gonzalez at medcom1.smtplink.amedd.army.mil
Tue Apr 15 11:32:43 EDT 1997

     Stacy:

     I'm in the process of organizing a completely digital library for the
     US Army's Center for Healthcare Education & Studies.  At this point,
     we plan on using SIRSI's Stylas product, which will have both an
     electronic media reserve section for courses, and a digital media
     archive to carry the digitized documents for the main catalog.

     As far as copyright goes, the library has a membership with the
     Copyright Clearance Center.  This costs us $105 a year, plus $1.80 per
     request for clearance, in addition to any royalty fee the copyright
     holder wants to add.  I haven't requested copyright clearance for the
     stacks of journal articles these instructors are waiting to send me,
     (We're just now getting ready to order the SIRSI product.) but once I
     do, I'll be able to let you know what kind of royalties people want to
     tack on for electronic access to their materials.  When I request
     copyright clearance, I'll be specifying that I'll be making electronic
     copies.

     That's how I'll be handling our digital library's copyright situation,
     anyway.

     I'm sorry to hear that your professors have been reticent to use your
     electronic reserve service.  Here at Fort Sam, the physical Med. Sci.
     library doesn't even have a well-organized course reserve section.
     When many instructors want their students to read a journal article
     for class, the students have to go find the journal and make their own
     copy (either at the library or through the Web).  I'm hoping the
     instructors will find the electronic reserves section of this digital
     library to be a useful spot to hold articles for their students.

     Best of luck with your project,

     Carolyn Ellis Gonzalez, Librarian
     US Army's Center for Healthcare Education and Studies
     Martek Communications, Inc.
     3407 NE Parkway, Suite 130
     San Antonio, TX  78218-3349

     phone (210) 221-6514