Fine payment via a secured web server use in libraries

Mark McFarland m.mcfarland at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Apr 14 15:16:44 EDT 1997

>I am hoping someone on the list can give me some information.  I have been
>asked about allowing patrons to become friends of the library by sending us
>their credit card number via our web page.

Lynn:

We are near a release date for a set of pages we're calling "Fundabook"
at UT Austin General Libraries-we're setting up a service (out of our
development office) for those who want to buy library materials for the
library...this page will allow people to send us credit card numbers using
a web page. We're using digital certificates and secure http (via Netscape
server) to establish trusted communication between client and server.
We're using a company called Verisign (http://www.verisign.com) as a
certificate authority for our server certificates. I don't have a URL for
you for this test...but we're in a test phase and should be finished
testing and have this in production soon.
You will be able to find this at http://www.lib.utexas.edu - just search
the server for fundabook.

Mark McFarland
EIPO