Query - State-wide Projects Like Galileo

Darmae Brown darmaeb at netman.ci.aurora.co.us
Thu Apr 10 20:01:04 EDT 1997

Susan Fipps wrote:

> We are interested in information from those of you who may have, or are
> planning to set up a project similar to GALILEO, essentially a state-wide
> WWW access site with commercial databases (GeorgiA LIbrary LEarning Online)
> [located at http://www.galileo.peachnet.edu].  The sites that we want to
> check out include those that:
>
> 1.  Have a central access point for library patrons across the state or at
>     least a large group of patrons whose use of commercial databases is
>     offered.
>
> 2.  The commercial databases offered to the library patrons would include
>     full-text.  Some non-commercial databases are likely to be made
>     available as well.  Z39.50 to WWW gateways are likely to be a part of the
>     project design.
>
> 3.  Other features of such projects may include organized web pages of links
>     to information on the web (e.g., subject heading approach).

Colorado's site is http://www.aclin.org.  It isn't as fancy as Galileo,
but we are working on it.  Right now it provides telnet links to library
catalogs and web access to library web pages as well as some databases
the ACLIN staff have developed.  We are working on a WWW-Z39.50 project
using OCLC's WebZ software.

A statewide committee has negotiated with commercial database vendors
for  pilot projects and good prices on several databases including
FirstSearch and Galenet.  These are accessed on our individual systems.
On our system, anyone would be able to use those 2.  Infotrac, however,
requires a valid library card number from the Aurora Public Library.

It seems like there are a lot of these projects going on--it would be
nice to share information!
Darmae Brown, MA MCIS         darmaeb at netman.ci.aurora.co.us
Systems Coordinator           (303) 739-6622 phone
Aurora Public Library         (303) 739-6638 fax
14949 E Alameda Dr            All opinions are my own--
Aurora, CO 80012                 no one else would want them!