Database access by IP

Christopher Adams chris at sparkie.osl.state.or.us
Thu Apr 10 16:53:07 EDT 1997

I have been following some discussions about giving customers or patrons
access to databases without their having to know usernames and
passwords. There were some good suggestions for this problem. Given that
some libraries are purchasing access to various databases (Information
Access, UMI, Knight-Ridder, etc) I would like to ask if anyone is
offering these databases and how they are dealing with the limitation of
access by IP address. Most of these companies offer the databases for X
number of simultaneous users and you issue them as many IP addresses as
needed, probably 3-5. Only individuals (or workstations) at these IP
addresses can then access the database. I am wondering if some of these
companies are dealing with this challenge and how they work around the
IP limitations. Obviously, it would be simple to protect an area of the
web server by making it password accessible (whether the user needs to
know the password or not).

Is anyone using any of these databases for a large number of outside
users (outside their IP) and how have you dealt with these limitations?

Christopher Adams
Oregon State Library
5030378-4246