CIKARD Web Database

Gerry McKiernan JL.GJM at ISUMVS.IASTATE.EDU
Thu Apr 10 17:29:46 EDT 1997

            CIKARD: Center for Indigenous Knowledge
              for Agriculture and Rural Development

     After a keynote address presented last week at the recent
joint USAIN/IAALD meeting last week in Tucson, an attendee asked
about possible resources on Indigenous Knowledge Systems. I am
pleased to announce that one such resource, CIKARD, the Center
for Indigenous Knowledge for Agriculture and Rural Development,
has recently made available its database over the World Wide Web
(WWW). The URL for this database is:

http://www2.iitap.iastate.edu/HTMLpages/CIKARD/
CIKARD_citation_index.html

     Based at Iowa State University, CIKARD is devoted to
documenting the knowledge of local peoples to foster sustainable
and appropriate economic and social development. For a full
description of the mission of CIKARD and its associated national
and regional Indigenous Knowledge Resource centers is accessible
from its homepage at:

    http://www.iitap.iastate.edu/cikard/cikard.html

     A catalog of available CIKARD publications is also
accessible from this site.

     With support from a university grant, I have identified a
number of significant Web resources that complement the CIKARD
collection for CyberStacks(sm), my virtual science and technology
Web library. A number of these have been described, and over the
coming weeks, will be classified and fully incorporated within
the CyberStacks(sm) scheme. Several of these were recently used
to establish the Agriculture(S) class of CyberStacks(sm).

     Regards,

Gerry McKiernan
Curator, CyberStacks(sm)
Iowa State University