Netscape compatible standard vs. Z39.50?

Mike Mitchell mdmit at texas.net
Fri Apr 4 12:30:30 EST 1997

        Hi all! A regional system is proposing to provide access to a union
MARC database. There is discussion advocating the use of a "Netscape
compatible standard" over Z39.50 client-server architecture. I know what
Z39.50 is and how it works but I don't know what the "Netscape compatible
standard" is. Are these two mutually exclusive? Is the Netscape "standard"
some sort of proprietary thing (our library doesn't use Netscape for
anything)? If the system used Z39.50 compliant server software shouldn't the
client side software be able to be installed at the same site (same machine
even) to provide translation to web browsers of all kinds accessing the
site? Isn't that what LC is doing at their GUI site?
        Thanks in advance!
Mike Mitchell
Technical Services Librarian
Dittlinger Memorial Library