UNIX Server Recommendation

Steve Peace speace at cybernautics.com
Wed Apr 16 13:58:37 EDT 1997

I know you are interested in UNIX primarily, but have you considered any
other types of servers?  I have been researching media streaming with
educational applications, lately, and have seen a lot of good press about
SGI's new line of servers.  In particular, their media streaming
capabilities look impressive.  The media streaming package allows cross
platform delivery of video or audio assets on a multicasting or one-to-one
basis.  Assets can be captured from any source and stored in a relational
database that allows good content management and and client-side retrieval
of data in any streaming format the administrator cares to choose.

That's my two cents about servers for educational applications.

Regards,
Steve
--------------

We are thinking about replacing our aging UNIX box with a Sun
UltraServer 1 family member (140, 170, or 170E).  A key application
running on the current box is our primary Web server.  Any
experiences with using UltraServer 1s for this purpose or advice
related to Suns in general?  We are looking for a reasonably
powerful and flexible platform to deliver Web and other Internet
services.  (We have NT and Linux Web servers and are familiar with
those alternatives; our interest at this point is in mainstream
UNIX boxes.  We are getting around 420,000 hits a month on our primary
Web server and this number is climbing rapidly.)

Best Regards,

Charles

Charles W. Bailey, Jr., Assistant Dean for Systems,
University Libraries, University of Houston, Houston, TX
77204-2091.  E-mail: cbailey at uh.edu.  Voice: (713) 743-9804.
Fax: (713) 743-9811.

<URL:http://info.lib.uh.edu/cwb/bailey.htm>
<URL:http://info.lib.uh.edu/sepb/sepb.html>