UNIX Server Recommendation?

Charles W. Bailey, Jr. LIB3 at UHUPVM1.UH.EDU
Wed Apr 16 10:52:51 EDT 1997

We are thinking about replacing our aging UNIX box with a Sun
UltraServer 1 family member (140, 170, or 170E).  A key application
running on the current box is our primary Web server.  Any
experiences with using UltraServer 1s for this purpose or advice
related to Suns in general?  We are looking for a reasonably
powerful and flexible platform to deliver Web and other Internet
services.  (We have NT and Linux Web servers and are familiar with
those alternatives; our interest at this point is in mainstream
UNIX boxes.  We are getting around 420,000 hits a month on our primary
Web server and this number is climbing rapidly.)

Best Regards,

Charles

Charles W. Bailey, Jr., Assistant Dean for Systems,
University Libraries, University of Houston, Houston, TX
77204-2091.  E-mail: cbailey at uh.edu.  Voice: (713) 743-9804.
Fax: (713) 743-9811.

<URL:http://info.lib.uh.edu/cwb/bailey.htm>
<URL:http://info.lib.uh.edu/sepb/sepb.html>