Generating odd-shaped webs from databases?

Patricia Tully ptully at uvi.edu
Wed Apr 16 08:32:29 EDT 1997

At 02:36 PM 4/15/97 -0700, Albert Lunde wrote:

>What experiences have people had with generating web content from databases?

We have generated several lists from Paradox (for DOS; haven't gotten the
chance to switch over to the Windows version yet) databases.  The HTML goes
into the report specification, and I develop a script to manipulate the data
and download the file.  Then I use a file editor to get rid of a few stray
characters at the beginning and the end of the document, and transfer the
file to our server.

Once I have the report specification and the script, all I have to do is
update the data and run the script; I don't have to mess with HTML after that.

So far we have done this to generate lists of recently ordered and recently
acquired items, an annotated list of electronic journals, and other lists.

        http://coda.uvi.edu/booksc.htm
        http://coda.uvi.edu/eljour.htm

I hope this is helpful.

Patricia Tully