Lawyer nixes filters

Robert Terry rhterry at RBSE.Mountain.Net
Fri Apr 11 15:58:30 EDT 1997

Hi,

In a software reuse conference a very close point was made to that
staated below.  As operators of reuse libraries (repositories), and their
are some 50+ I know of, we all went about qualifying the software,
wherein we could have value-added information to make ours a better
library.  Naturally, levels, contain qualifiers like proof-reading,
completeness, compilation without error, metrics, etc..

Well, the story is that some libraries had plans to verify code using
elaborate algerbraic like methods, therein being able to give it a
rating.  The legal opinion of this was that we would then become liable
if the software caused problems (i.e. there is a case where software
killed people in a radiation application).  The lawyer stated that
libraries should leave the content value of software between writer and
user, that we should only act as broker types, fitting problems with
possible solutions.  We took his advice,

Bob Terry
http://rbse.mountain.net/MOREplus/