lHassett lHassett at dwebb.llu.edu
Fri Apr 11 15:26:06 EDT 1997

     This is a summary of responses I got regarding putting library handouts
     on the web.  Thanks to all who replied.

     A UNIQUE APPROACH (1) Stephen Sloan of UNB Libraries
          We have taken a different approach.  I wrote a perl program that runs
          as a cgi script.  It prints a pathfinder or guide back to the browser.
          The content changes depending on the subject chosen.  The pathfinder
          contains hypertext links that search the library catalog to tell the
          patron which materials we have relevent to the subject. Compared to a
          subject guide written by a librarian, this is a very crude method. But
          for some subjects it works adequately. You can try it out at

          http://www.lib.unb.ca/Help/Pathfinder/vp.html

          To see its flexibility, select Literature, genealogy or enter any
          subject you want into the text field.

     WEB ONLY (5)
          Keep only a web version.
          Download and change in wordprocessor if formatting changes are
          required.
          Use the <PRE></PRE> tags to keep formatting.
          Use Bold instead of Underlining.
          Use the Netscape spacer extensions to get it to look the way you want
          for printout purposes even if others don't get the same spacing.

     WORD PROCESSOR CONVERTERS (2)
          One person used a macro for AmiPro that converts documents to HTML.
          (I have used the converter (Internet Publisher) in WordPerfect and I
          just didn't like the code it put there and the way it displayed and
          spent quite a bit of time cleaning it up to my liking.)

     RTFTOHTML (1)
          http://www.sunpack.com/RTF/latest
          A program that takes RTF files created in wordprocessing programs and
          formats to HTML

     ADOBE PAGEMAKER (1)

     ADOBE ACROBAT (4)