Query - State-wide Projects Like Galileo

Marilyn Johnson johnsonm at wvlc.wvnet.edu
Fri Apr 11 14:11:01 EDT 1997

I have been following this thread with much interest.  West Virginia is
currently working on their statewide InfoMine Project.  The following is
a brief description of our InfoMine Project:

	This project is a joint collaboration between the West Virginia Library
Commission, West Virginia University, WV Network for Educational
Telecomputing, and the WV Department of Education.  Among other things,
this project will provide access to:
	1) Our Statewide Union Catalog which includes the holding of college,
university, special and major public libraries in West Virginia.  At
this time, we are preparing to make this database available on the web.
	2) UMI ProQuest Direct through a statewide license agreement.
	3) West Virginia Newspaper Index
	4) WV Legislature's integrated computer system
	5) WV History Database

Providing Internet access to the informationally and technologically
challenged rural communities is the ultimate goal of the InfoMine
Project.  A $2.5 million grant from the Department of Education, a
$225,000 grant from the Department of Commerce, and $55,527 from the
Appalachian Regional Commission allows us to put a high-end Pentium CPU,
17" monitor, laserjet printer, 56k phone lines, and routing equipment in
175 public and high school libraries, while upgrading equipment in the 9
locations currently sustaining the statewide library network.  Each of
these nine Hubs will house web pages, email accounts, and library
catalogs from the libraries within their region.

Please feel free to visit the West Virginia Library Commission at:
http://WWW.WVLC.WVNET.EDU/